Sunday, June 07, 2009

Blood Feast (a few quick observations)

I was re-watching Herschell Gordon Lewis’s Blood Feast last week on TV. It’s a classic low budget gore/slasher film from the early sixties – lots of blood, cannibalism, stilted acting, cheap camera work, pulp writing and occult themes. As I said, a classic.

Just a few meat observations:
1) Blood Feast contains this great line delivered by the mother after thwarting the sacrifice of her daughter on the kitchen table and discovering the catered food for the party was human flesh – “I guess we’ll have to eat hamburgers for dinner tonight.” Makes me laugh every time.

2) The commercials that ran during this airing were for packaged meats and sausages. I don’t normally watch commercials but this pairing of content between movie and advertisements was wonderful. Ain't postmodernism fun!

While I dig Blood Feast, my fave so far is Gruesome Twosome (although the opening sequence to Something Weird is one of the creepiest bits I’ve seen.) I have not watched Wizard of Gore or the Gore Gore Girls yet, so ...

3 comments:

Floda said...

I've never seen that. Did you videotape the one you saw? Without the sausage ads I'd feel a little cheated.

Rev. Michael Roth said...

Yeah, I recorded it during a free preview of the Scream channel. I think it's a great movie but those ads took it to another level. I don't think it was a case of hipster irony either. The show ran late at night when the ads are cheaper. At least they got their moneys worth from the freak and cannibal contingent.

Mister Trippy said...

Yeah, with the ads has gotta be better than the straight movie... Loads of video and DVD versions been available in the UK, the last from Tartan I think who went bankrupt last year but it is still around. But now I want the ads. I always think it helps to have had a few drinks or something stronger before this one. Not sure what I like best of his, possibly Color Me Blood Red, but I prefer the later stuff to this and 2000 Maniacs....