Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pulp Find

Last week, I managed to find some pulps by women writers on the remainder tables. They are all reprints from Feminist Press, part of the Femmes Fatales series. The books are:

The Blackbirder by Dorothy Hughes
Bunny Lake is Missing by Evelyn Piper
Laura by Vera Caspary
Women’s Barracks by Tereska Torres

I am not familiar at all with women’s pulp writing, so I am really happy with this find. They look great - lurid covers and good quality production. I will blog more when I read them, so I can spread the word a bit.

If anyone has any other suggestions of women pulp writers that I can explore further, please drop me a line.

3 comments:

Mister Trippy said...

All new to me, so look forward to the blogs... and don't forget all those other books you have to read! And re: the Batman show post, I didn't want to get into whether it was to be taken straight - as most art world people there seemed to assume - or funny as I found it for the first few minutes, it really bored a non-art world American friend I took along who couldn't believe the Brit art twits didn't know that shit... But I mainly wanted to make AB my target so didn't wanna get into the other stuff that might confuse...

Rev. Michael Roth said...

I agree. And I'm sorry for being a bit thick. What peaked my curiosity was how he might have approached the material as this sort of stuff is part of every day life in some parts of North America. For me, here, the Valley is a real bible belt. So a work would have to take a real different (or "new") approach to make me interested. (If I remember correctly, I think you had said as much in the comments on that particular blog ...)

Mister Trippy said...

It is strange isn't it, that this stuff is so well known and so embedded in popular culture from north America too, so the working class in Europe are familiar with it too through music and TV... But get a room full of middle-class London art people and they think it is really obscure... But I don't think you'd have found much of interest in it....